Buddhist Geeks : Contemplative Tech Collaborative

I’m interested in building a colony around a pre-existing project called Buddhist Geeks. The vision is for it to be a p2p organization utilizing the holacratic governance process.

We would like to use a platform like Colony in order to help break apart the necessary tasks related to the maintenance and functioning of our work with the new contemplative technology lab. We run as non-profit entity and so there’s no ownership associated directly with our work. I’ll be curious to see how Colony works for non-profits. :slight_smile:

best,

Vincent Horn | buddhistgeeks.org
336.456.2426 | vince@buddhistgeeks.com

Cool!

I’d say that Colony would be a good fit for a non-profit, especially one that might be looking to have a good way to manage a shared fund for isolated projects.

The way you would go about that is more or less exactly as you described briefly: By splitting up tasks into discrete units, you’d have a record of all the major pieces of work that your organization did, as well as who did them. Each task must have a Manager, Evaluator, and Worker role assigned, and may have a bounty associated denominated in any token you’d like. When a task is completed, the tokens may be claimed by each of the roles, and one of the payout tokens is your colony’s own native token, the role gets reputation equivalent to the token amount (or 1.5x reputation in the case of an outstanding rating).

In the working of a non-profit, I’d say the tasks should probably be rather large and infrequent, to minimize the amount of back/forth required on a day to day basis. Something like “Manage the summer meetup event” is along the lines of what I’m thinking. Or perhaps for something smaller, “Publish the Buddhist Geeks Podcast episode n

After the event, the project manager would get a payout denominated in the token, as would the podcast publisher. Hopefully, you’d set the payouts according to the perceived value each task brings to the org, meaning in this case I’d imagine that the podcast would be worth fewer tokens, but perhaps there are several ‘podcast’ related tasks.

If your team is relatively close there’s probably no harm in allowing everyone on the team to be an Administrator, which gives the ability to create tasks, move funds between different domains, etc.

Now on to the fundraising: If Buddhist geeks wanted to accept ETH or DAI donations, they would use the colony’s address as an endpoint. Money sent to this address would then be accessible to anyone (with permission) in the Colony to use to fund further tasks.

An important point about reputation and funding: In the first (MVP) launch of the Colony Network, Reputation is passive, and really only used for rewards. That means that a certain percentage of any Buddhist Geeks revenue would be sent periodically to all members of the B.G. colony, proportional to the amount of reputation they have. This may be beneficial, or it might be something you want to set to 0% (depending on the values of your org).

In the future (very soon), reputation will have the additional feature of actually mediating the flow of funds within a colony. That is to say, if one holds 20% of the reputation in the colony, one has the authority to move or allocate up to 20% of the colony’s shared funds without any outside approval. This, as well as the dispute resolution system and reputation-weighted voting are planned for future upgrades to the Colony Network. But if you like this principle of “proportional allocation according to reputation”, there’s no reason you can’t implement it as an informal policy in your colony until the feature becomes explicitly available and enforced by smart contracts.

I’ll end with a final idea: You’d also be able to issue use the same system to interact openly with folks external to your organization, and perhaps give them B.G. tokens. This could be for a donation, or for completing a training course with your org. If you chose to payout in B.G. tokens, those external folks would start to also have reputation within the colony, which means they’d start to receive a small part of the rewards payouts (in the MVP launch), and have some small amount of decision-making power (in future releases).

I’ll stop here, but would be happy to keep chatting about this, as I’m looking at setting up a Colony for my own org (3 members) that will be run as a pseudo-nonprofit :slight_smile: